Mission Blue is currently embarking on an expedition to this Hope Spot to emphasize the importance of Coiba’s protection. With generous support from the STRI, Shannon and Bill Joy, Code Blue, International Community Foundation and the Sylvia Earle Alliance, a team of scientists, conservation leaders, and dive professionals, will explore Coiba to better understand this complex ecosystem.
Onboard also will be Hector Guzman, Senior Staff Scientist at STRI (Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute), and Eldredge Bermingham, Director of STRI, who will lead research efforts along with Dr. Sylvia Earle and other conservation scientists.
Mission Blue will provide written narratives, photography, and video clips throughout the expedition.
• To support the research community working in Coiba Smithsonian Tropical Research in their efforts to explore and catalogue marine life, especially on Hannibal Banks.
• To create a set of images and outreach products that can be used as a conservation tool by all groups which are involved in the conservation effort of the Coiba area, and broadcast these internationally throughout the.
• To facilitate dialog between conservation groups, government officials and the research community about the future of the area, encouraging increased protection and enforcement of Coiba Marine Park.
• To highlight the Coiba National Park and its surroundings waters as an irreplaceable and essential ecosystem, leading to lasting conservation.
• To provide educational stories to the Google Earth Explore the Ocean layer.
We hope that you will follow Mission Blue and our partners as we feature another of Dr. Sylvia Earle’s Hope Spots in our quest to bring worldwide attention to the beauty and fragility of the blue heart of our planet.
For more information about this expedition please contact:
Kip Evans – Mission Blue Director of Expeditions and Photography (Kip@KipEvansPhotography.com)
Deb Castellana - Mission Blue Director of Communications Deb.Castellana@gmail.com
Submarine: Undersea Hunter
Map: Hector Guzman, STRI
Hammerhead shark: Kip Evans Photogaphy